This Page

has been moved to new address

Homemade Vegetable Broth from Veggie Scraps {Finished Friday} come link up your projects, too!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Heart For Home: Homemade Vegetable Broth from Veggie Scraps {Finished Friday} come link up your projects, too!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Homemade Vegetable Broth from Veggie Scraps {Finished Friday} come link up your projects, too!

Link up the projects you finished this week at the bottom of this post. 

healthy eating for less 300px button

Last summer when we reevaluated our grocery budget, we found that a sizable chunk of money was going towards all natural vegetable broth every month. We decided to start making our own broth and have been making it this way ever since.

veggie broth

This week I took some time to make another large batch of veggie broth to restock the freezer.

This is what my cutting board looks like after making our very simple lunches.

homemade vegetable broth

Instead of putting those scraps directly in the compost bin, I place them into a container in the freezer, adding to my scraps everyday until the container is full.

I typically collect carrot peels, celery leaves, apple and pear cores, onion ends and skins, and sweet potato peels.

homemade vegetable broth2

Then I simply dump all of the veggie (and apple and pear) scraps into a large pot, cover with twice as much water, and add a little parsley.

homemade vegetable broth3

Next I cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Once it reaches a boil I lower the heat and let it simmer away for 30 minutes or so. All of this happens with the cover on.

Then I simply turn off the burner and let the vegetable broth cool covered on the stove.

Once it cools, I strain out the veggie scraps and store the vegetable broth in jars. I usually place a few in the fridge to use within the week and put some (with at least an inch of head space between the liquid and the lid) into the freezer.

homemade vegetable broth4

So instead of buying all natural vegetable broth at the grocery store I’m now making it out of scraps that would have been composted. And all those used veggie scraps can still be thrown into the compost pile after making our family delicious veggie broth.

*Since this veggie broth has no added salt, you may have to adjust recipes accordingly.

Today's Questions: In what ways are you able to feed your family healthy food for less?

Linking up to these parties.
I'm trying to hold myself accountable to finish some of the projects on my to do list by posting each Friday about a project I've completed.
Would you like to join in? Link up to your own projects below.

1.
Link to your project post, not your blog's home page, so we can find it easily.
2. Let us know what project you are sharing in your title, for example: Spring Wreath
3. We'd love it if your post links back here so that your readers can come join the fun. Feel free to copy & paste our Finished Friday Button into your post. (Just copy the text in the box below the button, click on the "Edit HTML" tab for your post and paste it there.)

A Heart for Home

Photobucket
Be sure to click the link in the first email to activate your subscription.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I do the same thing with my scraps, except i use my crockpot. Sometimes the scraps go in with some chicken thighs in water so we can have some delicious chicken stock to use during the week. :)

May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home